If you are welcoming a new puppy into your family, congratulations! Our team at Broadway Veterinary Clinic can help your new puppy to begin a happy and healthy life in their new home.
Here is a brief checklist of to-dos for your new best friend.
- Microchipping: We recommend that every puppy receive a microchip embedded between their shoulder blades. This will help reunite them to you if they were ever to become lost.
- Spay/neuter procedure: If you do not plan on breeding your puppy, we recommend neutering them between 8 weeks and 6 months. This will prevent an unplanned litter and curb unfavorable behaviors. In addition, spayed and neutered dogs have a lessened risk for some cancers and infections, and generally have higher life expectancies.
- If your puppy is a large or giant breed, we would like to take radiographs of their hips to screen their likelihood of developing hip dysplasia.
- Vaccinations: Puppies should receive their vaccinations in a series of three sets between the ages of 8 and 16 weeks. Here are several of our core vaccines recommended for all puppies: Rabies, DHPP (Distemper, Hepatitis, Parainfluenza, Parvovirus).
- Frequent check-up: Visit us frequently during your new pet’s first year of life to ensure they are growing up well and strong. We will help you every step of the way with a wellness plan.